Saturday, March 21, 2009

Beauty In Darkness II: The Music

I'm certain people will be a little surprised that an avowed metalhead like myself would tread into musical waters such as this, yet it's concurrent with both my sentiment for my Beauty in Darkness themes and certainly not at odds with my personal catalog. Far from it, actually.

I realize many MGTOW have their own tastes and they vary, but for those who are welling to take that trek filled with rich texture and depth, I hope you sincerely enjoy what I've presented here.



Lycia - Drifting

What an amazing duo this is. This is the type of music I can dwell on for hours---dreamy, surreal, depressive yet thoughtful and strangely uplifting. It's difficult to pick which album I like the most, but Cold is an outstanding collection of ethereal tracks.

Queensryche - I Will Remember

Unless you've been hiding under a rock for the last couple of decades, you've probably (at least) heard of this band. But their CD Rage for Order is often criminally overlooked. I selected this one because truly haunting and remorse quality; I've heard this off and on since my teenager years and it never fails to make an emotional impact.

Claire Voyant-Silence

I don't think this post would be complete without something from this California trio. It's a shame they never reached anyone outside of a select audience; this truly is a siren song in more than one aspect---and I'll let the music do it's own magic rather than continue here.

Witchfynde - Crystal Gazing

Years ago I was fixated with finding gems from the 70s and 80s and the album Cloak and Dagger popped up. I liked what I heard and yet after discovering this I had to track it down no matter what the cost---mysterious and eldritch, it left a mark and I picked it up online surprisingly quickly for an enigmatic cult act. Take the "softer" moments of Judas Priest, Mercyful Fate, and Black Sabbath and you have this tune. Sadly, another glanced over NWOBHM band.

Deep Purple - Anthem

I had always heard Rod Evans voice from Deep Purple's song Hush and preferred Ian Gillian's vocals---then this comes along as a backdrop to the German film Requiem and I couldn't get it out of my head. A plaintive track with a truly classical touch.

Rainbow - Catch the Rainbow

Let's put it this way; Ronnie James Dio, Ritchie Blackmore, and all in the Rainbow fold crafted a beatific masterwork here. Another track I will let the listener experience without too much commentary; so sad and yet just lush and astonishing.

Iron Maiden - Children of the Damned

I'm sure that some may be puzzled why I included an Iron Maiden song even if they like Maiden. After all, this is about beauty in darkness, among many levels, right? And I think the music, lyrics, and Bruce Dickinson's passionate vocals are completely appropriate. From their staple (and maligned from the stodgy critics), Number of the Beast.

Lycia - Broken Days

Yep---Lycia again. There are simply a wealth of material to choose from, but I think this captures the mood I want to present. The accompaning (homage) video is also something to behold.

Akira Yamaoka - Theme of Laura

From both the movie and the video game of Silent Hill, another composition that is both wonderful and haunting. I've listened to anything from Yamaoka's dark ambient to the works that are more akin to this, and he can do no wrong.


Black Sabbath - Under the Sun

Trying to decide which tune for this post, considering my love for the classic lineup and era, was just about impossible, but here's one regardless.

Xasthur - Funeral Of Being

Xasthur's output usually consists of oddly yet compelling underground-style black metal that is caustic and hate-filled. This instrumental is a step away from (Malefic's) dark and spectral arrangements for something ponderous and entralling; this may surprise some, but he was clearly influenced by Lycia for this in particular.

No comments: